One of the first parts of your home that people see when they look at it is the roof- and it is one of the most important parts of the home’s structure as well. We all know we need to take care of our roofs by keeping leaf and debris cleaned off and watching for snow and ice accumulation. But what are some need to know tips for year-round roof care that can be and should be done every few months throughout the year?
Tips For Year-Round Roof Care
Here are a few things you should do every year to keep your roof in good shape:
- Clear away accumulated leaf litter and debris- paying special attention to areas where it tends to accumulate such as in the valleys, around vents and skylights, in the gutters, and behind the chimney stack. This is an important tip for year-round roof care!
- Inspect any and all flashing that is used around roofing components to be sure it is solid and check for signs of wear or deterioration. Seal where it is needed, clean away damaged portions, replace where needed to keep a good seal.
- At least 2-3 time a year you need to take time to inspect the shingles. Secure any loose shingle tabs using high-quality roof cement. Replace damaged shingles. And if the damage and wear is extensive call in the roofing contractors to take care of it for you.
- One of the important tips for year-round roof care that many homeowners ignore is to clean the gutters often. When gutters are clogged they cannot drain rainwater away and it can pool on the roof and seep into the home and cause damage!
- Inspect and repair the mortar that is used on the chimney stack. When there has been a lot of wear and tear and deterioration the weakened chimney can collapse and damage your roof so it is important to call in a contractor as soon as possible to make repairs.
- Take time to look for threats around your home-trees being one of the biggest threats to your roof. Keep tree branches trimmed so they do not overhang the roof and so nothing is touching or too close to the roof or the home itself.
- The final tip for year-round roof care is to not attempt major repairs or roof work on your own. If you have any serious damage, hire a roofing contractor. Our team of skilled and experienced contractors is ready to work for you so give us a call today!