Whenever major storms pass through, there is the risk of roofing damage that will need to be dealt with. Many times, homeowners scramble to find a contractor to do the repair work for them but now and then a contractor reaches out to them first, seemingly out of the blue. They offer amazing rates and say they can do the work right away. It seems to be too good to be true- well in many cases it is and the homeowner is falling for one of the biggest roofing contractor scams there is. If you are avoiding indy roofing contractor scams because you simply want a trusted advisor to help, then give us a call today for an honest assessment.
The Roofing Contractor Scam Artist
Many scam contractors will patrol the streets after a storm and look for roofs and homes that have been damaged. They will then approach the homeowners and offer ‘discounted’ services. This is a scam that is becoming more and more common and it is important that homeowners know how to go about protecting themselves and how they can improve their chances of avoiding scams after the storm. The scam works because these ‘contractors’ have no training and minimal experience and they use sub-par materials and do an amatuer job. They take their money and disappear before the work is completed or are long gone by the time all the problems with their work becomes apparent. The homeowner is left with the loss of their money and a roof job that is as bad or even worse than it was before that they must now spend more money to fix. There are several common roofing contractor scams but this is one of the most common and also one of the easiest to fall for if a homeowner does not know what to look for in a contractor and how they can work on avoiding scams after the storms have passed through.
Avoiding Roofing Contractor Scams in Indy
There seems to be an ever-growing number of roofing contractor scams and here at Stay Dry Roofing we want to help our customers and others in the community do all they can to protect themselves by avoiding scams after the storm. Here are a few tips to help you steer clear of roof repair scams.
- Work only with a local contractor in Indianapolis – do not hire someone who is from another state or too far removed from your local area because laws and regulations can be different and you want someone who knows your local codes and laws.
- As your friends and family members for any trustworthy, local home improvement and roofing contractors that they personally know or that they have worked with in the past.
- Get written estimates from several contractors and compare prices. Too high may be signs of a rip off as is a quote that is far too low. Price gouging or cutting corners to save money are among the most common roofing contractor scams today.
- Ask for a list of previous clients and references that your contractor has worked with and call them yourselves to verify that what your contractor is telling you is true.
- Make sure the contractor is licensed and insured and everything is up to date or it will be you facing bills and lawsuits if something goes wrong or someone gets hurt on your property during the roof work.
- Before you sign a final contract, read it over and get any questions you have answered and make sure you are comfortable with all terms of the contract and you understand everything that is laid out in the contract as well.
- Never pay full price upfront and set up payments with the contractor. Always hold the last payment for after the work has been done and inspected and signed off on. This makes avoiding scams after the storm easier because a scammer will not want to wait around to be discovered.
Contact Us for Help Today
If you need help with your roof repairs after a storm and you want to make sure you are working with a qualified contractor, then call Stay Dry Roofing today and discover the difference we can make! There are many different types of roofing contractor scams out there and we can help make it easier for you in regards to avoiding scams after the storm and any other time you need roofing work done.